Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Cheese

Here's a piece that isn't final at all. I tried a few new things, and now that it's done, I have a better idea of what I want to do with this theme of (basically) awkward high school portraits. I wanted to make awkward looking kids, but not ones that are absolute stereotypes, so the basic idea here was having a big muscly guy, but he's got all the typical nerdy afflictions. Nothing revolutionary in and of itself but it could make for a funny drawing if done right. These just aren't done right, yet. The colored version is actually the first attempt, but I was dissatisfied with the way his chin and neck were coming together (In retrospect the biggest problem is just how lazily the inner neck lines were done). I whited out the original and reworked it- that's the black and white sketch- but this was probably way too much of an overcorrection. Something about that big smooth triangle jaw is funnier, even if I felt like it didn't fit.
In any case, the germ of the idea is there, and I'm ready to move onto the final piece(s). Until then, I've got these.

No comments: